The Kaki King Family
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Did You Discover Kaki?

+40
KOKAKIS
stephane7789
Jammifer
Diletta
Kraftastic
spiker
björkfanörk
Paperback Head
Jetsam
teganqsara
ewinwee
amarieste
littlebribes
Empress Ericka
santo
jazz_machine
Maturin
Chikara312
nickels
Ashleh-Chan
therockingviking
paulb
bwalshy
psyentist25
Solaris
Amanda_ataxia
interrobang
crazyfingers
samee
P-girl
playing_with_pink_noise
turnstile
psv_1916
sezyjane
Krusty
Mythbuster9
indra
my_eric_life.
mightymcfearless
.jamesAdmin
44 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How Did You Discover Kaki? - Page 2 Empty Re: How Did You Discover Kaki?

Post  nickels Sat May 23, 2009 6:40 am

Hey, i'm new to the forums.. been listening to king for a while now.. I heard her in my sleep pretty much... this local station plays ambient songs @ night time, & I used to sleep w/ the radio on. so i heard the song "doing the wrong thing" & I thought it was something i was playing in my dream, and so i woke up and immediately started putting down on guitar what i had just heard in my head (while still not knowing it was on the radio.)

I played this song called "give em hell, kid." at a couple places, and there was a fast variation i did which is pretty close to kaki's song, and a slow version that is accompanied by tapping the guitar... it wasn't til about 3 months later, they called me back & requested the kaki king cover.. ONE person asked for it, anyway... and of course @ the time, i never knew ii was playing a cover. i was simply playing a song i heard in my dream.. and that's how i discovered ms. king. Smile

nickels

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda_ataxia Sat May 23, 2009 1:01 pm

that's the best history I've read here Wink
Amanda_ataxia
Amanda_ataxia

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-11-15

http://last.fm/user/Amanda_ataxia

Back to top Go down

Post  therockingviking Sat May 23, 2009 1:27 pm

haha that's pretty impressive--i don't think i would've been able to come up w/ the tuning and everything after just having heard it once in my sleep Very Happy

i love doing the wrong thing...one of my favorites
therockingviking
therockingviking

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-02-21

http://therockingviking.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  my_eric_life. Sat May 23, 2009 2:19 pm

that's such an awesome story! haha
my_eric_life.
my_eric_life.

Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2008-04-28

http://myspace.com/mahsingo

Back to top Go down

Post  Mythbuster9 Sat May 23, 2009 5:49 pm

you HAVE to post a video playing it! it sounds awesome
Mythbuster9
Mythbuster9

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  nickels Sat May 23, 2009 7:55 pm

i'll have to get a webcam & try to record it, lol but 4 sure!... the only fault i had when translating the song from "dream" to ear to guitar, was it was "composed" in the key of D major, versus.... B minor??

but ya, she is pretty much what started me learning to double tap & change up the guitar style and keep it from ordinary... i have an ourstage profile, if u guys wanna hear some of the stuff i got. any REAL kaki fans might hear a schoche of her influence in most of my work

http://www.ourstage.com/fanclub/nickkropelnicki
myspace.com/nickkropelnicki

nickels

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda_ataxia Sat May 23, 2009 9:20 pm

hey, you've got really good songs!!
I enjoyed all them
Amanda_ataxia
Amanda_ataxia

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-11-15

http://last.fm/user/Amanda_ataxia

Back to top Go down

Post  therockingviking Sun May 24, 2009 1:17 pm

wow, just been checking out your myspace...your stuff is really cool. are you working on an ep or lp or anything?
therockingviking
therockingviking

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-02-21

http://therockingviking.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nickels Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 pm

sorry, my thing doesn't tell me when i have a new post Razz ... not right now, i just kinda play for fun. every once in a while, i'll catch an open mic night, but i've never been interested in the music business.. i like to make a living running my trains Smile Smile Smile.

is there a place for musicians to collaborate? I am on jambassador, but there's like- ZERO traffic on there.

nickels

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 27, 2009 4:29 am

I saw the "Playing with pink noise" video on late night, maybe 1:00, on a tv channel similar to MTV... and that is quite strange becouse I don't watch tv, maybe I had watched a dvd and then a little of zapping... and very strange becouse of that channel usually shows pop music as mtv does... however, I was impressed and I kept my eyes wide open looking for the artist's name. kaki king... mmm... sounds familiar. infact I had downloaded a compilation of acuostic songs from the internet, maybe an year before, and I liked very much a song called "midnight after a walk" by kakiking (written in this way) and a couple of other.
So I first liked the soft, normal kind of songs like "night after sidewalk" "joi" and "the Exibition", but I definitly became a beliver with the pink noise video.

Back to top Go down

Post  Chikara312 Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Me and the guy I have a huge crush on were exchanging music one day and one of the artists he brought up was Kaki and he gave me Dreaming of Revenge, the first song I listened to was Life Being What It Is (which is now my favorite song at the moment). I fell in love with the CD then read that she was a Guitar God so I looked her up on Youtube and afer seeing her play I was amazed and I still am lol. So afterwards I decided to buy all of her CDs and managed to find some of the EPs and now she's become my favorite musician currently I listen to her all the time. While I'm driving, cleaning up my place, taking a shower, brushing my teeth (lol), through-out the day, sometimes going to sleep. She's great to listen to in any mood I'm in, whatever I'm doing and whatever the weather is, Kaki just finds a way haha.

Chikara312

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Maturin Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:44 pm

My cousin had gotten ahold of an EP of some sort of hers at a used CD store in Atlanta in 2003. It contained Carmine St. and a few tracks from Legs To Make Us Longer, I think. I didn't know what it was at the time but it was by far the best of the cheap CDs that we bought. I heard it a few more times at his house (he would put it on to go to sleep to occasionally,) but never thought to ask who it was.
Then I borrowed Legs To Make Us Longer from him a year or so later and everything changed about that. I heard fragile songs of amazing beauty that just... spoke to my soul. Music that brought vivid emotion and imagery forth without even needing words.
And when I bought Until We Felt Red.... don't get me started :p.

Maturin

Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

How Did You Discover Kaki? - Page 2 Empty How did you discover Kaki?

Post  jazz_machine Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:49 am

For me the first time I saw her was actually live. She came to Perth as part of a Blues & Roots in 2006 festival and I fell in love! Seeing her use the guitar percussively blew my mind, I'd never seen anything like it. She mostly played tracks from 'Everybody Loves You', which I bought with rapidity, but I was totally won over by the 'Until We Felt Red...' album; 'I never said I love you' and 'Jessica' Being big favourites. Since then I keep hanging out for news of another tour, but she's only got as far as the East Coast!

jazz_machine

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  santo Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:18 am

A friend gave me the movie August Rush...when the young kid played his first piece ( bar improv) I had an almost mistical experience...never heard music so beautiful...I was mesmerized and of course could not believe he could be the "real player" so I checked on the internet and discovered Kaki King.

As a result, at about 50 years of age ,I took back the guitar which I shortly started learning twenty years ago, but soon gave up ( it was too difficult lol! ) and am now practising all I can of her music...it is so satisfying...I wish I could tell her...

I take the opportunity to thank all those who create the tabs available here, they are of great help.

Wish there were more video of Kaki playing her acustic masterpieces...

santo

santo

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Empress Ericka Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:15 pm

THIS POST IS CHOCKED FULL OF AWESOME.
Empress Ericka
Empress Ericka

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-07-31

http://musicnerdery.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  littlebribes Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:23 pm

I discovered her through Tegan and Sara. So original, right?
Rolling Eyes

littlebribes

Registration date : 2009-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Mythbuster9 Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:03 am

littlebribes wrote:I discovered her through Tegan and Sara. So original, right?
Rolling Eyes
hmm not as interesting as the past 3 ones but still awesome! hahaha Laughing
Mythbuster9
Mythbuster9

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  amarieste Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:03 am

I found her on Spinner.com. They have these free mp3's and I download some every now and then to find new artists to listen to and I happened to pick Kaki's 2 O'Clock. Was not disappointed, I thought it was an amazing track. I got Dreaming of Revenge and thought it was one of the best albums I've listened to in a long time, especially with all the crap that's on the radio (thank you Internets!) Then I went all the way back and started listening to all her stuff, I went on YouTube and saw her live performances such as this one:

I don't know how many times I've watched this performance. I think I stayed home one day and just watched Kaki videos all day lol.

Anyway, she has herself a lifelong fan!
amarieste
amarieste

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

How Did You Discover Kaki? - Page 2 Empty I think...

Post  ewinwee Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 pm

I think that itunes recommended Kaki to me on their genius thingie with some track from ...Until We Felt Red. First album I bought though was Dreaming of Revenge, after doing some web investigation from the itunes recommendation.
Now, I'm basically hooked. Not much else I'd rather listen to these days. Very Happy

Last edited by ewinwee on Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
ewinwee
ewinwee

Registration date : 2010-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post  teganqsara Mon May 24, 2010 8:09 pm

i think i was waching the con dvd.
i was like 'wow shes reallyyyyyyyy good!' Very Happy
teganqsara
teganqsara

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Jetsam Sat May 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Oddly enough, she was mentioned in a thread, with the topic being acoustic guitarists, at the Metallica Club forum. This was about two years ago, so I've been listening to her ever since.
Jetsam
Jetsam

Registration date : 2010-05-29

http://www.last.fm/user/EETFUK

Back to top Go down

Post  Paperback Head Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Through Tegan and Sara Smile

Btw I think this is my first post here Smile

Paperback Head

Registration date : 2010-06-15

http://rickylaishram.com/blog

Back to top Go down

Post  björkfanörk Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Hey there, first post here

I found out about Kaki....hmmm...I have no clue. It was definitely two albums ago, but I have no timeframe outside of that. Night After Sidewalk FTW
björkfanörk
björkfanörk

Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  spiker Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:54 pm

I found out about Kaki through a Ticketmaster email saying she was in town, and while I normally just ignore those emails, I looked her up for the heck of it, found Falling Day and proceeded to the rest of her music from there.

I'm still kicking myself for missing her while she was in town.
spiker
spiker

Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kraftast Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:51 pm

I was hanging out with a bunch of friends and one had just gotten back from a trip to California,he was telling us about this girl that was trying out an ovation in the store and was ripping on it. a\Friend two said....Hey it could have been Kaki King and showed us "playing with pink noise" This was right after Legs came out,I checked to see if she was playing close by and she was playing in a small club in Bridgeport CT for like eight bucks, I went somehow got a seat right next to the stage. She talked about the filming of the Playing with pink noise video during the show and had me amazed with her musicianship as well as her stage presence. I saw an early version of "gay sons..." there....I left crying and floating on thin air.

it was the beginning of a long and torrid relationship.

Kraftast

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next